I see a lot of folks saying they are claiming their sovereignty or that they are sovereign. Let us take a look at what sovereign means in the English language by looking at the definition in Webster’s 1828 dictionary.
SOVEREIGN, adjective suv'eran. [We retain this babarous orthography from the Norman sovereign The true spelling would be suveran from the Latin supernes, superus.]
1. Supreme in power; possessing supreme dominion; as a sovereign ruler of the universe.
2. Supreme; superior to all others; chief. God is the sovereign good of all who love and obey him.
3. Supremely efficacious; superior to all others; predominant; effectual; as a sovereign remedy.
4. Supreme; pertaining to the first magistrate of a nation; as sovereign authority.
SOVEREIGN, noun suv'eran.
1. A supreme lord or ruler; one who possesses the highest authority without control. Some earthly princes, kings and emperors are sovereigns in their dominions.
2. A supreme magistrate; a king.
3. A gold coin of England, value 20s or $4.44
As we can plainly see, the word “Supreme” is used in all but one definition and that being a unit of measure. So let’s have a look at that word in Webster’s 1828.
SUPRE'ME, adjective [Latin supremus, from supra.]
1. Highest in authority; holding the highest place in government or power. In the United States, the congress is supreme in regulating commerce and in making war and peace. The parliament of Great Britain is supreme in legislation; but the king is supreme in the administration of the government. In the universe, God only is the supreme ruler and judge. His commands are supreme and binding on all his creatures.
2. Highest, greatest or most excellent; as supreme love; supreme glory; supreme degree.
3. It is sometimes used in a bad sense; as supreme folly or baseness, folly or baseness carried to the utmost extent. [A bad use of the word.]
Now we can see that “Highest” is used, another way to say highest is to say most high. In both definitions of the words we have looked at, we can see that it is the Sovereign who is the most High Power. To me the most High Power is not I but the Almighty God that created me and all things. I can not claim to be sovereign if there is a Authority higher than my own. Since I know I am not the Supreme Power then I have no claim to be sovereign. I submit to the Creator under His Rule over me and must abide by His Law.
I have no power over another man or woman without their consent, but only over my property (body, rights). To say that I am sovereign would say that I do have power or authority over another, regardless of their consent. Therefore, I come to the same conclusion, I am not sovereign.
I did not even create my own body. I did not make it so my heart would pump blood to the rest of the organs required for me to have life in the manner I do. I am subject to the Laws of nature and of nature’s Creator. Therefore, I come to the same conclusion, I am not sovereign.
I only have authority over things I invent (for example, this article) and do not have authority over things I did not invent (for example, US Constitution). Again I come to the same conclusion, I am not sovereign.
Since all men (and women) are Created equally having the same unalienable Rights and Standing in Law, how can anyone make the claim they are sovereign?
Thank you for your consideration,